The first issue of the Gallatin County News made its appearance on September 1, 1926. It was edited by Edgar Lamkin and printed at the Boone County Recorder’s plant in Burlington. The publisher of Gallatin County’s new newspaper was R.E. Berkshire. Unfortunately, bound volumes of early editions of the newspaper did not survive; however, from January 1, 1935, on, bound copies of each year’s newspapers are filed at the office of the Gallatin County News in Warsaw.
In 1934, Warren P. and Bess Boulton purchased the Gallatin County News. Printing equipment was acquired and the newspaper began to be printed at Warsaw. In 1937 Mark Meadows purchased the newspaper from the Boultons and continued printing it in Warsaw. In 1941 he also purchased the Walton Advertiser. The Gallatin County News was next sold to Charles E. Adams, a native of Morehead who came to Warsaw with his wife, Frances, and his stepson, Phil Bradley, who was from Shelbyville, Ky. While working at Morehead, Adams had been employed by that town’s newspaper, the Sentinel-News. He was an experienced printer, able to operate the complicated Lintotype machine of the day and proved to be an excellent writer-editor. He issued the first number of his paper on August 7, 1941.
Weathering the dark days of World War II, with its paper shortages and slow advertising growth, Adams continued printing the Gallatin County News without interruption. He built a fine new brick building on the courthouse square in Warsaw to house the newspapers’ business office and printing facility. An indication that he was active in journalism outside his own venture was that he was elected president of the Kentucky Press Association in 1956. Adams’ stepson, Phil Bradley, joined the Gallatin County News, serving as editor. But after Bradley’s untimely death in 1974, Adams sold the newspaper. Charles and Denny Warnick purchased it on February 1, 1975.
Reflecting the many changes that have occurred with the modernization of newspaper production, the paper is now printed at the Landmark Press in Shelbyville, Ky. The days of hot metal, the flat-bed press, and the Linotype are gone from the newspaper business. Computers are used to write stories and to compose pages, which can be sent electronically to the printing plant. Subscribers’ mailing labels for the Gallatin County News are also computer-generated.
However, the editorial offices of the newspaper, located in a restored 1860 house one block from the Gallatin County Courthouse, remain the same. At the death of Charles Warnick in 1984, Denny Warnick became the paper’s publisher. The couple’s older son, Kelley Warnick, is editor. He is also the newspaper’s award-winning photographer and a long time Kentucky Press Association board member. Younger son, Clay Warnick, is the newspaper’s associate editor and advertising director. Terry Combs-Caldwell is production head and is assisted by Bobbie Hendrix.